Print

News/Culture >> Browse Articles >> Food Writing

+4

Top 10 Aphrodisiacs

Jacky Hayward | Chef's Blade

Spanish Fly


Neither a fly nor strictly from Spain, Spanish fly is actually a ground-up blister beetle. Generally found in Europe, this beetle produces a caustic acid-like liquid called cantharidin. When ingested, it causes a swelling and burning sensation in the urinary tract – much more unpleasant than actually stimulating. The one problem with cantharidin is that it’s actually poisonous, thus the swelling and burning. Today, however, most substances labeled Spanish Fly are actually just pepper or other heat-inducing substances.


Next Page: Teeth Don’t Sound so Bad Anymore?→