Gourmet Magainze Closes, Ending an Era
Ruth Reichl, Gourmet Magazine's former Editor-in-Cheif, is a
J.M. Hirsch | Associated Press
After nearly 70 years of fine eating, the lavish meal known as Gourmet magazine is over.
Conde Nast blamed the tough economic climate Monday when it told its staff it was closing the stalwart of the food media world, long considered the dean of culinary publishing.
“It’s the center of gravity, a major planet that’s just disappearing,” said chef and author Anthony Bourdain, who said Gourmet was the first food publication to give him a chance as a writer. “There’s been a lot of speculation about this happening, but I’m still stunned.”
Conde Nast also said it was shuttering Modern Bride, Elegant Bride and Cookie, a parenting magazine. Earlier in the year it ceased publication of Portfolio, a business magazine, and Domino, a homes title. Sister Conde Nast publication Bon Appetit survived the cuts, and will likely absorb many of Gourmet’s readers.
Gourmet on stands for one of the last times.
For those in the food world, the closure is a bit like waking up to find the old Life magazine had closed shop.
“It’s certainly the grand dame of food magazines,” said Tim Ryan, president of the Culinary Institute of America. “We’ll never see the likes of a Gourmet magazine in that form again.”
Since 1999, Gourmet has been headed by Ruth Reichl, a doyenne of the food world and former New York Times restaurant critic. Reichl ushered the magazine firmly into the 21st century, overseeing launches of award-winning Web sites and television series.